Current:Home > MarketsArrest warrant reveals Robert Card's possible motives in Maine mass shooting -Profound Wealth Insights
Arrest warrant reveals Robert Card's possible motives in Maine mass shooting
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 04:23:32
The man accused of killing 18 people in a shooting spree in Maine last week believed local businesses – including the bowling alley and bar he rampaged – were involved in a conspiracy and broadcasted messages online saying he was a pedophile, records say.
The arrest warrant released Tuesday reveals the possible motives of Robert Card, an Army reservist who police say carried out the state's deadliest mass shooting. The records also detail statements by the 40-year-old's family about his poor mental health and a break up with someone he had met at the bar he targeted last week.
On the evening of Oct. 25, Card opened fire on patrons and workers at Just-In-Time Recreation bowling alley and Schemengees Bar & Grille in Lewiston, Maine. He killed 18 people, wounded over a dozen others and the ensuing manhunt closed schools, businesses and kept thousands of people across southern Maine huddled in their homes. Card's body was found inside a recycling center trailer two days after the shooting. He died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said.
Break up sent Card spiraling, family says
A family member, whose name was redacted in the warrant, said Card "went through a bad break-up" in February with a woman he met at Schemengees Bar & Grille. He had been "delusional" ever since, the warrant said.
After the break up, Card “had significant weight loss, has been hospitalized for mental health issues and prescribed medication that he stopped taking.” Family members told police Card “started wearing hearing aids and had been saying crazy things," including that there was "a conspiracy against him and people were accusing him of being a pedophile," the report said.
Along with the Lewiston bar and bowling alley, Card believed a market and a nightclub were also "broadcasting online" the accusatory messages. Police in the arrest warrant wrote that Card believed his family was involved in the conspiracy, too.
Card met the person who would eventually break up with him during a cornhole competition at Schemengees Bar & Grille, the warrant said.
On the evening he walked through the bar "while seeking out and shooting patrons," the bar was hosting a cornhole competition that was attended by members of the local deaf community.
The many red flags raised by Card's family and the Army
Records released earlier this week by the Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office detailed repeated warnings about Card's deteriorating mental condition and a first-hand account of him threatening to commit a mass shooting – evidence experts say could've been used to temporarily seize Card's firearms following a mental health evaluation under Maine's "yellow flag" law.
In May, Card’s ex-wife and son contacted the Sheriff’s Office and told a deputy that Card was drinking heavily, acting paranoid and had picked up 10 to 15 handguns and rifles from his brother's house.
Two months later, Card was taken by police to a psychiatric hospital and received two weeks of treatment after his fellow reservists reported that he was “hearing voices calling him a pedophile" and other insults at a training event in West Point, New York. Card's superiors banned him from handling firearms and ammunition at his home reserve base in Maine and tried to persuade him to retire from the Reserve and seek psychiatric help.
In September, fellow reservists said they were driving home from a night at a casino when Card began ranting and punched another colleague. Card, according to the report, was “making threats to shoot up the Saco National Guard facility” in nearby Saco, Maine. The Army asked the Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office to check on Card, citing the concern of a soldier that “Card is going to snap and commit a mass shooting,” records said.
Deputies searched for Card once at his trailer and, when they found that he was not home, they issued an alert to every law enforcement agency in Maine to be on the lookout for Card. A day later, deputies again tried him at his trailer. They saw Card's white Subaru parked outside and heard him moving around inside, but he didn't answer the door.
The responding deputy called Card’s reserve unit commander, who apparently advised the deputies to back down, saying forcing contact might not be advantageous. The lookout alert for Card was canceled on Oct. 18. The sheriff’s office has not said why.
A week later, police identified Card as the assailant in the shocking shooting spree.
veryGood! (913)
Related
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Eva Mendes says she had 'non-verbal agreement' with Ryan Gosling to be a stay-at-home mom
- Twitch streamer Tyler 'Ninja' Blevins reveals skin cancer diagnosis, encourages skin checkups
- Cute College Graduation Outfit Ideas That’ll Look Good Under Any Cap & Gown
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Kenya begins handing over 429 bodies of doomsday cult victims to families: They are only skeletons
- Biden New York City fundraiser with Obama and Clinton on hand is expected to bring in over $25 million
- A mom called 911 to get her son mental health help. He died after police responded with force
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Biden fundraiser in NYC with Obama, Clinton nets a whopping $25M, campaign says. It’s a new record
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Republican-passed bill removes role of Democratic governor if Senate vacancy occurs in Kentucky
- Where to get free eclipse glasses: Sonic, Jeni's, Warby Parker and more giving glasses away
- March Madness Elite 8 schedule, times, TV info for 2024 NCAA Tournament
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Four students arrested and others are suspended following protest at Vanderbilt University
- This social media network set the stage for Jan. 6, then was taken offline. Now it's back
- Longtime Kansas City Chiefs cheerleader Krystal Anderson dies after giving birth
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
Georgia lawmakers approve private water utility bypassing county to serve homes near Hyundai plant
Photos released from on board the Dali ship as officials investigate Baltimore bridge collapse
After 'Quiet on Set,' Steve from 'Blue's Clues' checked on Nickelodeon fans. They're not OK.
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Baltimore bridge tragedy shows America's highway workers face death on the job at any time
An Oil Company Executive Said the Energy Transition Has Failed. What’s Really Happening?
The Daily Money: When retirement is not a choice