Current:Home > reviewsTradeEdge Exchange:CBS News says Trump campaign had ‘shifting explanations’ for why he snubbed ’60 Minutes’ -Profound Wealth Insights
TradeEdge Exchange:CBS News says Trump campaign had ‘shifting explanations’ for why he snubbed ’60 Minutes’
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 23:32:16
NEW YORK (AP) — CBS News said the Trump campaign offered “shifting explanations” for why it backed out of a “60 Minutes” interview special with presidential candidates that aired without him.
The TradeEdge Exchangenetwork’s Scott Pelley appeared on the air Monday night to explain why Republican Donald Trump did not appear on what has become a “60 Minutes” tradition: back-to-back interviews with presidential candidates in the last month of the campaign.
Harris was on the show, interviewed by Bill Whitaker. Where Trump was supposed to appear, “60 Minutes” instead aired a story about an Arizona official pushing false claims about election fraud.
Pelley said that the Trump campaign “complained that we would fact-check the interview. We fact-check every story.”
The Trump team also demanded an apology for his interview during the 2020 campaign, where he claimed that correspondent Lesley Stahl said a laptop computer belonging to President Joe Biden’s son Hunter came from Russia. “She never said that,” Pelley said.
Pelley said that Trump’s team had agreed to an interview at the former president’s Mar-a-Lago home, with an additional talk in Butler, Pennsylvania, where he returned to the scene of a July assassination attempt.
Trump spokesman Steven Cheung said “60 Minutes” “begged for an interview.” The campaign did have concerns about the show’s reporting on Hunter Biden and how it insisted upon editing Trump’s comments, he said.
“There was nothing scheduled or agreed upon,” Cheung said. ”We had already long promised an exclusive in filming at Butler to another national outlet, which turned out the be Fox News.”
Trump’s interview with Fox’s Laura Ingraham aired an hour before “60 Minutes” on Monday night. His absence from CBS was not mentioned in their exchange. Trump apparently, watched, however, posting on Truth Social that the Harris interview “is considered by many of those who reviewed it, the WORST interview they have ever seen.”
Pelley poked at Trump, noting he had already turned down another opportunity to debate Harris, along with the “60 Minutes” interview, “which may have been the largest audience for the candidates between now and election day.”
Moving “60 Minutes” out of its traditional Sunday time slot may have depressed the audience size, however. An estimated 5.4 million people watched on Monday, according to preliminary Nielsen company figures, compared with the 9.6 million who saw the newsmagazine on Sunday, Sept. 29.
No estimate for Trump’s audience on Ingraham’s show was immediately available. Her show averaged 2.7 million viewers a night last week, Nielsen said.
___
David Bauder writes about media for the AP. Follow him at http://x.com/dbauder.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Best Friend Day Gifts Under $100: Here's What To Buy the Bestie That Has It All
- Desperation Grows in Puerto Rico’s Poor Communities Without Water or Power
- Selena Gomez Hilariously Flirts With Soccer Players Because the Heart Wants What It Wants
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- These Cities Want to Ban Natural Gas. But Would It Be Legal?
- Kim Zolciak Won't Be Tardy to Drop Biermann From Her Instagram Name
- Proposed rule on PFAS forever chemicals could cost companies $1 billion, but health experts say it still falls short
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- BelVita Breakfast Sandwich biscuits recalled after reports of allergic reactions
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Get $95 Worth of Peter Thomas Roth Skincare Masks for 50% Off
- Selma Blair, Sarah Michelle Gellar and More React to Shannen Doherty's Cancer Update
- A New Book Feeds Climate Doubters, but Scientists Say the Conclusions are Misleading and Out of Date
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Oil Investors Call for Human Rights Risk Report After Standing Rock
- Annual Report Card Marks Another Disastrous Year for the Arctic
- Trump EPA Targets More Coal Ash Rules for Rollback. Water Pollution Rules, Too.
Recommendation
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Baby girl among 4 found dead by Texas authorities in Rio Grande river on U.S.-Mexico border in just 48 hours
The Ultimatum’s Lexi Reveals New Romance After Rae Breakup
All-transgender and nonbinary hockey team offers players a found family on ice
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
Adam DeVine Says He Saw a Person Being Murdered Near His Hollywood Hills Home
Warming Trends: A Climate Win in Austin, the Demise of Butterflies and the Threat of Food Pollution
Dissecting ‘Unsettled,’ a Skeptical Physicist’s Book About Climate Science