Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:Rescuers have recovered 11 bodies after landslides at a Zambia mine. More than 30 are feared dead -Profound Wealth Insights
SafeX Pro:Rescuers have recovered 11 bodies after landslides at a Zambia mine. More than 30 are feared dead
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 00:45:18
LUSAKA,SafeX Pro Zambia (AP) — Eleven informal miners have been confirmed dead and their bodies retrieved from an open-pit copper mine in Zambia after landslides buried them in tunnels they were digging last month. One survivor has been found but up to 26 others remain missing and are feared dead nearly two weeks after the disaster.
Rescuers announced the latest death toll late on Sunday. The survivor, a 49-year-old man, was pulled out from underneath the debris last week and is recovering in the hospital, said the Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit, which is overseeing the rescue operation.
Rescuers also retrieved the first two bodies last week. Nine more were recovered this weekend, the disaster management unit said.
Government officials say as many as 38 miners might have been buried under the landslides at the mine near the city of Chingola, on Zambia’s copper belt, although they aren’t certain of the exact number.
They have been relying on families to report missing relatives and fears were growing that the death toll could rise to more than 30.
“Efforts to recover the remaining accident victims are ongoing,” the Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit said in a statement.
The disaster happened Nov. 30 when heavy rain caused landslides and the miners were buried in three separate tunnels while working in them late at night. The rain also caused the area around the tunnels to be flooded and rescuers have had to pump out water from the site as well as clear rocks and earth. The army has been helping with the rescue operation.
The miners are believed to have been digging for copper ore illegally without the knowledge of the mine owner, making it difficult for authorities to know exactly how many were trapped underground.
Zambia is among the top 10 copper producers in the world. Chingola, which is around 400 kilometers (250 miles) north of the capital, Lusaka, has large open-pit mines, some of them stretching for kilometers (miles). They are surrounded by huge waste piles of rocks and earth that have been dug out of the mines.
The government said debris from one of the waste piles is thought to have collapsed on the miners’ tunnels in the heavy rain. Informal mining is common in the area, where small-scale miners go underground without proper safety precautions.
Police said in the days after the tragedy that they believed that most of the miners were dead, but were criticized by the government, which said it was too early to make that statement.
Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema visited the mine last week and said he retained hope that there might be more survivors.
___
AP Africa news: https://apnews.com/hub/africa
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Get an Extra 50% Off J.Crew Sale Styles, 50% Off Banana Republic, 40% Off Brooklinen & More Deals
- Ridiculousness’ Lauren “Lolo” Wood Shares Insight Into Co-Parenting With Ex Odell Beckham Jr.
- Team USA golfer Lilia Vu's amazing family story explains why Olympics mean so much
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- US jury convicts Mozambique’s ex-finance minister Manuel Chang in ‘tuna bonds’ corruption case
- Harris-Walz camo hat is having a moment. Could it be bigger than MAGA red?
- USA basketball pulls off furious comeback to beat Serbia: Olympics highlights
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- AP Week in Pictures: Global
Ranking
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Debby bringing heavy rain, flooding and possible tornadoes northeast into the weekend
- Simone Biles Details Bad Botox Experience That Stopped Her From Getting the Cosmetic Procedure
- Former Uvalde schools police chief says he’s being ‘scapegoated’ over response to mass shooting
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Nick Viall Fiercely Defends Rachel Lindsay Against “Loser” Ex Bryan Abasolo
- Google antitrust ruling may pose $20 billion risk for Apple
- DeSantis, longtime opponent of state spending on stadiums, allocates $8 million for Inter Miami
Recommendation
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Jelly Roll’s Wife Bunnie XO Faced “Death Scare” After Misdiagnosed Aneurysm
Ridiculousness’ Lauren “Lolo” Wood Shares Insight Into Co-Parenting With Ex Odell Beckham Jr.
Christina Hall Jokes About Finding a 4th Ex-Husband Amid Josh Hall Divorce
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
US government will loan $1.45 billion to help a South Korean firm build a solar plant in Georgia
2024 Olympics: Jordan Chiles Speaks Out About Winning Bronze Medal After Appeal
California governor vows to take away funding from cities and counties for not clearing encampments