Current:Home > reviewsNorth Carolina’s highest court won’t revive challenge to remove Civil War governor’s monument -Profound Wealth Insights
North Carolina’s highest court won’t revive challenge to remove Civil War governor’s monument
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 23:02:36
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina’s highest court declined on Friday to revive a challenge to the decision by Asheville city leaders to remove in 2021 a downtown monument honoring a Civil War-era governor.
The state Supreme Court agreed unanimously that it had been appropriate to dismiss legal claims filed by an historic preservation group that had helped raise money to restore the 75-foot (23-meter) tall Zebulon Vance obelisk in the 2010s.
In the months after the start of 2020 demonstrations over racial justice and the murder of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer, the Asheville City Council voted to dismantle the downtown monument out of public safety concerns.
The monument, initially dedicated in 1897, had been vandalized, and the city had received threats that people would topple it, according to the opinion.
The Society for the Historical Preservation of the 26th North Carolina Troops opposed the removal and sued, but a trial judge dismissed the lawsuit. The obelisk was dismantled before the Court of Appeals told the city and Buncombe County to stop the demolition while appeals were heard, but the monument base has stayed in place. Friday’s decision is likely to allow the base to be removed.
In 2022, the intermediate-level Court of Appeals upheld Superior Court Judge Alan Thornburg’s dismissal. The three-judge panel agreed unanimously that while the society had entered an agreement with the city for the restoration project and had raised over $138,000, the contract didn’t require the city to maintain the obelisk in perpetuity.
Associate Justice Phil Berger Jr., writing Friday’s opinion, did take issue with the Court of Appeals ruling that the society’s breach of contract claim should be dismissed because the group lacked legal standing to initiate it. But because the society failed to argue the merits of its contract claim to the justices, the issue was considered abandoned, Berger added.
“Therefore, plaintiff has failed to assert any ground for which it has standing to contest removal of the monument,” Berger wrote while affirming Thornburg’s dismissal of the society’s remaining claims.
Vance, who was born in Buncombe County, served as governor from 1862 to 1865 and 1877 to 1879. He was also a Confederate military officer and U.S. senator. The city has said the monument was located on a site where enslaved people are believed to have been sold.
The monument was one of many Confederate statues and memorials removed across the South in recent years, including one in Winston-Salem. Litigation over that monument’s removal by a Civil War-history group also reached the state Supreme Court and was featured in legal briefs in the Asheville case.
Separately, a Court of Appeals panel this week affirmed the decision by Alamance County commissioners not to take down a Confederate monument outside the historic local courthouse there.
veryGood! (616)
Related
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- New York City Ready to Expand Greenways Along Rivers, Railways and Parks
- Handmaid's Tale Star Madeline Brewer Joins Penn Badgley in You Season 5
- Trump posts $91 million bond to appeal E. Jean Carroll defamation verdict
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Lilly Pulitzer 60% Off Deals: Your Guide To the Hidden $23 Finds No One Knows About
- Abercrombie’s Sale Has Deals of up to 73% Off, Including Their Fan-Favorite Curve Love Denim
- Helicopter carrying National Guard members and Border Patrol agent crashes in Texas, killing 3
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- NHL trade grades: Champion Golden Knights ace deadline. Who else impressed? Who didn't?
Ranking
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Why Love Is Blind Fans Think Chelsea Blackwell and Jimmy Presnell Are Dating Again
- Duchess of Sussex, others on SXSW panel discuss issues affecting women and mothers
- Mexico-bound plane lands in LA in 4th emergency this week for United Airlines
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Black applications soar at Colorado. Coach Prime Effect?
- Former MVP Joey Votto agrees to minor-league deal with Toronto Blue Jays
- Dakota Johnson and Chris Martin Privately Got Engaged Years Ago
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Hawaii firefighters get control of fire at a biomass power plant on Kauai
US judge rejects challenge to Washington state law that could hold gun makers liable for shootings
Weather beatdown leaves towering Maine landmark surrounded by crime scene tape
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Utah troopers stop 12-year-old driver with tire spikes and tactical maneuvers
Books on Main feels like you're reading inside a tree house in Wisconsin: See inside
The Most Shocking Moments in Oscars History, From Will Smith's Slap to La La Land's Fake Win